- Say, that guy gave me the creeps. But he's an ace. If he wasn't, Moe Shrevnitz wouldn't be drivin' no cab today. Tell me what he wants. I'm game for it.
Appearing in "The Chinese Disks"
- The Shadow's Agents:
- Diamond Bert Farwell (dies)
- Monte Agland (dies)
- Throckton Rayne (dies)
- Ruke Perrin (dies)
- Duff Corley (dies)
- Spider Mertz (dies)
- Marlin Norse
- Loon Goy
- Hoy Wen
- Commissioner Wainwright Barth
- Acting Inspector Joe Cardona
- Detective Sergeant Markham
- Criminologist Slade Farrow
- Dave Garvell (ex-convict)
- Stanley, the chauffeur
- Yat Soon
- Tam Sook
- Maurice Blefflinger
- Karl Joland
- Nicholas Lewkesbury
- Gautier Ranaud
- Norris Tatson
- Lennis (hotel detective)
- New York City
- The Shadow's rubber suction cups
- Moe Shrevnitz's cab
Synopsis for "The Chinese Disks"
Years after his first defeat by The Shadow, Diamond Bert Farwell gets out of jail on good behavior. He then institutes a system of Chinese disks to identify his agents and steal and sell large quantities of jewels. He also uses various disguises to evade the police.
The Shadow also uses a variety of agents, some for the first time to bust the crime ring.
At the end of the story, The Shadow sees through Bert's final disguise and is shot by our hero never to rise again.
- Diamond Bert Farwell appeared in the first issue of The Shadow Magazine. This is his final appearance.
- Dave Garvell appeared in "The Green Box." This is his final appearance.
- Tam Sook appeared in "Six Men of Evil." This is his final appearance, however, he is mentioned in "Death Rides the Skyway."
- Sanctum Books reprinted "The Chinese Disks" in The Shadow Double-Novel Reprint #2.
- The cover has a hidden clue. By placing a blotter over the right half of the column of the Chinese characters, one can decipher the secret message contained in the left half, which spells out "tonight."
- Write your own review of this publication!
- Discuss Shadow Magazine Vol 1 65 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Shadow Magazine series
Links and References