John Harverson, a wealthy Englishman, was unwittingly involved in an embezzlement scam and sent to prison because of it. It was actually his business partner, Simon Gregory, who spent their client's investment funds for his own purpose. Unfortunately, Harverson was wrongly accused and found guilty because he couldn't prove his innocence.
While in prison, Harverson learned that his former partner was continuing his financial swindling schemes. Even more tragically, Gregory successfully lured Harverson's son into the mess as well. Both men were rumored to have disappeared into the underworld together.
With this knowledge, Harverson became a changed man, literally. He escaped from prison and began acquiring a new fortune under the name "Lamont Cranston". It is during this time that he began hunting for his son and Gregory as The Shadow. He continues to seek the two fugitives while investigating other crime cases.
Powers and Abilities
Equipment: None known.
- Moe Shrevnitz, a loyal agent, often shuttles him discreetly about town. The taxi that Shrevnitz drives belongs to Lamont Cranston.
- The Shadow's Autogyro is a wingless aircraft that can land nearly vertically and features a windmill of blades. It is an early prototype of the helicopter.
Weapons: None known.
- The Thriller Library, a weekly British newspaper, reprinted some of the original pulp stories published by Street & Smith, but for some reason The Shadow's true identity changed to a ruined lawyer named John Harverson.
- Scotland Yard Detective, Joe Carton realizes that The Shadow and Lamont Cranston are the same person, however, he's unaware that The Shadow's true identity is John Harverson.
- Only agent Richard Burbank knows that The Shadow is escaped convict, John Harverson.
- The Shadow's Sanctum is located in a flat in Hanover Square. It is always dark in the sanctum for the black walls are windowless. When Cranston goes there, he turns on a blue light over his desk. It is here where he analyzes crime.
- No trivia.
- Appearances of John Harverson (Thriller)
- Character Gallery: John Harverson (Thriller)
- Quotations by John Harverson (Thriller)
- Images that include John Harverson (Thriller)